Monday, June 7, 2010

Friends

Sorry I've been MIA for the last couple of days. I've gotten super busy, and don't see it letting up anytime soon. And actual work-work has picked up. I've got a 10 week deadline to finish an application. Now ten weeks may sound like a long time, but when that includes design, development, and testing...10 weeks isn't very long. I was able to get some design work done this weekend though. Priorities, you know.

Enough of that, on to today's card. So, sometimes the sentiment you need for a card...just doesn't seem hallmark-ish. You know? Something like, "What the hell is your problem?", or "Are you fricken kidding me?", or "Get over it already.". Yeah...something tells me that wouldn't be a high demand set. LOL But sometimes you need a card just like that. Something to break the ice...something that you could only give to your true friends. But alas...I'll settle for a simple "Friend".

Here, I've paired that wonderful My Mind's Eye "Quite Contrary" paper with Wplus9's Funky Flowers. It had been a while since I used the set and I love how the quirky flowers look with the patterns and colors from the paper. Since there was already a ton of color and mixture of patterns I opted to leave the flowers as simple outlines. I love the contrast this creates and I think it adds some interest...what do you think?

I finished off the card with my new obsession, crochet thread. I can't get enough of it. I just LOVE how great it ties. It's not quite as stiff as twine, and has less silkiness to it than the DMC floss, making it super easy to tie bows. If you haven't tried it yet, you should...and the price for how much you get, AMAZING!!

A quick CONGRATS and good luck to all of my blog buddies who made it to the Papercraft's Gallery Idol Top 20!!! So deserved, all of you. I think I have been under a rock as I didn't even know it was going on until the last day. Oh well, I will have a blast cheering all of you on, and I can't wait to see who "wins it all"!

Thanks for stopping by tonight, now go get your craft on! ;o)

17 comments:

  1. Well, in this economy I guess job security is a good thing, right? I couldn't agree with you more about the sentiments although you would have to be careful with whom is on the receiving end. And fantastic design of your card, great call to keep the flowers as outlines as now they take center stage on the card. Thanks too for the tip on the crochet thread. My your post was full of things today, love that when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROTFLMAO!!!! OK, first, your card is adorable, but I have to say.. you really really got my attention with those sentiments that are not Hallmarky! Go for it. Make the set... I think you could actually host a challenge for some real good zingers and we could vote on which ones to include in the set of oh, say 10!!!

    ps.. I love what the hell is your problem! Perfect for certain family members...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors. Love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRILLIANT! {Love this card!} I'm so with you on the "slightly askew" statements that we ALL need now and then! ~ Hey! How's that for an idea for sentiments! You could market them for "those who dare!" hee hee Meanwhile, I'm delighted/stressed on your behalf, but I agree with Karen: busy = job security, so that's a GOOD thing! Love this inspirational card, friend! Something tells me you would have been ROCK STAR card makin' hall-of fame-material, too!!!! {Shooooot, you ALREADY are!} Love you, dear! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card. I love that my card making friend has sent me beautiful cards with the sentiment that says "shit". Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a sweet card, dawn:) love the brackets and use of the crochet thread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha....I dunno...I think sentiments like that would be big sellers:)

    Love your card for today...great mix of colors and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful card! The colors are perfect together. I, too, am loving the crochet thread. It comes in so many great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card! Love the bracket frame and I will definitely be checking out some crochet thread next time I'm at the craft store.

    I bet you could have a best seller with some non-hallmark sentiments. Maybe just a big "REALLY? C'mon!" would do the trick for most occasions.

    And thanks for solving the mystery of Wplus9!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned to crochet when I was a teenager. My Mom and Grandmother loved it! I thought it was fun and learned. But I never thought it would be something I used with my scrapbooking/card making ;) I stole my Mom crochet threads in different colors, she didn't need them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being "busy" is a good thing these days! :) Especially if it means that your business is doing well. Your card is very cute! I love the colors and the crochet thread. It's a very nice touch.
    I heard from Paulina that you will be at the Orlando stamp show this month. I'll be there too, helping at the DeNami booth. Hopefully I will get a chance to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post Dawn! Can you please make a set of stamps like that, too funny :) I want one that says I love your face and Your frickin' awesome ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. life gets busy for all of us... doesn't it?? Love what you shared and your card is fabulous! Love the brackets! I used this set yesterday, come and see on my blog.. love your stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It would be great to have cards with sentiments like the one you metioned. It would be so cool :) Your card is so cute! Thanks for the crochet thread idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Need to add 'Seriously?' to the un-Hallmarky sentiments - this is a favorite of my step-daughter and it really gets your attention when her 9 yr old says it with a roll of her eyes at her younger brother! Absolutely love the card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HA HA HA HA HA HA! I love your sentiment idea! Seems you could have another winning idea there. How about "Shut UP!" or "Get OUT!" or "Girl, do you KNOW who you are talking to?" (that is for Elise!) perhaps, "who gives a rat's....?" Ok, I'm having too much fun now ;)

    Great card and great idea! Good luck with work-work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a sweet card love your creations and good luck with work!!!

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest